Different types of chemicals are used in the chemical method of pest control, these chemicals can be divided into 4 main categories i.e. pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, and rodenticides. Chemical methods are being used to eliminate pests from the property for years. These chemicals act as nerve toxins or growth regulators/ inhibitors for insects and mammals. As these chemicals are toxic, people always have a question buzzing in their mind – Are pest control chemicals harmful?
Pests are infamous for causing harm to humans and human concerns, and in the 21st century, there is no need to share your place with him. To limit their population and eliminate them from the area various types of pest control methods are used, Chemical method is one of them. It is a very effective method against pests but it also causes harm to other non-targeted species and plants in the area.
Choosing the Right Chemical is Vital
Of course yes, type and quantity of chemical define is it harmful or not. Normally, chemicals are chosen on the basis of the type of pest and how serious infestation is, so if you don’t have any knowledge about it then choosing the right chemicals can pose a challenge for you. On top of that, using the wrong chemical could convert an already tough situation worse.
You can understand it with an example, to eliminate a pest assume ants you have to identify the species of ant correctly. Then find all the chemicals that work well against ants, then choose the best one and actually one that is available in your area. After that, apply or spray it at the infected areas. Now there are two things that need to be taken care of, first ant colonies may have more than one species at the same location and the second one is quantity. Normally, you can’t predict how much pesticide will be sufficient to eliminate them.
Now here we would like to mention here that if you misidentify the breed the solution will not work and it may cause harmful effects to other species. Additionally, If the surviving ants gained immunity against the particular chemical, then, stopping or removing them will be not so easy.
We also want to state here that, most of the pesticides are target based pesticides so if you made a mistake in identifying the type of pest.
Effect of Chemicals on Human Health
There is a good variety of chemicals are available to be used as pest control chemicals. These chemical needs to be handled with great care, as we stated above that choosing a good chemical to eliminate the pest problem is a very important task. So before reviling Are pest control chemicals harmful, we would like to mention here that more than prescribed quantity or in simple word misuse of these chemicals can lead to symptoms of acute poisoning and various health-related issues such as:
- Stomach Cramps
- Blurred Vision
- Excess Saliva.
More Severe Poisoning May Also Lead to
- Chest Tightness
- Changes in Heart Rate
- Muscle Weakness and Twitching
- Difficulty Breathing during Walking
- Constricted Pupils and Incontinence
It is not the end of the list, in a few severe cases of poisoning, seizures and unconsciousness may also occur. Now you will ask if it is that harmful then why we are using it, and the answer is given below.
Recommended: What to Do after Pest Control Sprays to Stay Safe
Why Chemicals are Necessary for Pest Control
Not all, but most of the species of pests are harmful, dangerous, or sometimes even life-threatening if encountered. Pests carry viruses and parasites thus they are infamous for spreading diseases, some other features painful or dangerous strings and bites and other crawl over open food and spread germs and bacteria. Additionally, some pests cause harm to the structure of your premise whether it is home or office.
Actually pests cause more harm compared to the chemicals and actually if the chemical is being applied by pest control professionals it will cause no to negligible harm. Pests are the main reasons to transmit Some of the common diseases such as Malaria, dengue fever, and Chikungunya, Rat-bite fever, Rocky Mountain, Shigella dysenteriae, Rickettsialpox, Bacillus cereus, West Nile Virus, Tapeworm, Tularemia, Ehrlichiosis, Chikungunya, Favus, Babesiosis, Leptospirosis, Dermatitis, Lyme Disease, Murine typhus, Chloriomeningitis, Spotted Fever, Salmonella, and E. coli, Typhus, etc.
We want to clear that pests can cause more serious harm and to eliminate/ limit them chemicals are the most effective solution.
Keep Pest Prevention on Priority
Pests cause harm and chemical-based pest control can bring pest destruction in your property, pests are harmful to us but it plays a very important role in balancing the environment. Thus keep prevention on priority. Some of the pest preventative measurements are listed below:
- Seal gaps and cracks.
- Fix leaks in plumbing
- Remove sources of food, water, and shelter.
- Block entry points and keep eyes on these areas.
- Don’t place light sources near the entry points.
- Keep all doors and windows closed if not needed.
- Trim-down all the branches that can provide a way to pests to enter into your priority.
- Use sealed containers to store foods.
- Use only dustbins having a tight lid.
- Use pest traps and sticky stickers.
- Remove garbage from your home on a regular basis.
- Keep your premise clean and corners well lit.
- Clean up stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard.
Pesticide Safety and You
If you are going with the DIY approach which not recommended it is important that you follow safety tips and directions carefully. Some of them are listed below.
- Take a careful look at the details provided on the packet. Also, verify that the product is genuine.
- Manufacturer’s instructions will include details about prescribed quantity, targeted pest species and process so go through it and use it as directed.
- Never use more than the recommended amount and carefully follow all safety precautions.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke while using a pesticide.
- Manufacturer’s instructions also suggest protective clothing so make sure to wear it whenever you are using the pesticide.
- Even if not suggested, make sure to wear gloves and a mask.
- Do not mix pesticides. Mixing two strong chemicals together can initiate unexpected and potentially dangerous chemical reactions.
- Keep the pesticide Sealed firmly in its original container.
- Make sure that it is out of reach of children.
- Never transfer pesticides to containers that the children can open in search of eatable items.
- Pace traps or baits in areas where children, pets, or native animals can’t reach.
Wash your hands after use.
So, at the end of this article, we hope that you have got the answer to the question Are pest control chemicals harmful? that was buzzing in your mind too and we just want to say that pest control chemicals are harmful if used without proper precautions. Hiring a professional pest control company to solve pest related issues is still the best and safest method to get rid of pests. They will mitigate all the risks and harmful effects by using quality, target-based, and well-trusted pesticides in the required quantity.
Pest Control Corp is one of the most reputed pest control companies in Sydney, we have around 10 years of experience, knowledge, and well-trained team of pest control technicians. We provide the safest chemical baked pest control along with other methods of pest control. We provide residential, commercial, strata, industrial, and lawn pest control services. So for safe and effective pest control at your site call pest control corp today.